Here is my list of the most important events of 2012 in America from a worldview perspective. These are the ones that, in my humble opinion, had the greatest impact on the moral, philosophical, and spiritual lives of our nation and its future direction (for good, bad, or neutral).
Jan. 1- Hawaii and Delaware make civil unions of homosexuals legal. California mandates addition to public school history curriculum the “contributions” of sexual minorities (i.e.: gays, lesbians, transgender, and bisexuals).
- Feb. 7- Federal Appeals Court upholds Federal District Court in California’s ruling striking down that state’s referendum that banned same-sex marriage in the state.
- Feb. 13- Washington legalizes same sex-marriage in that state.
- March 8- Maryland legalizes same-sex marriage.
- April 21- Death of Christian apologist Charles Colson at age 80.
- May 8- North Carolina amends state constitution by public vote to ban all same-sex unions.
- May 9- President Barack Obama announces his change of position on legalizing gay-marriage, saying he now favors it.
- May 27- US Catholic bishops demand retraction of Obamacare requirements that Catholic schools, colleges, hospitals, and other affiliated non-profit organizations must provide health insurance coverage to its employees for birth-control and abortion. Other religious bodies soon join in the protest over the abortion coverage requirement. Obama refuses to amend the law.
- July 4- Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider Research Center in Switzerland claim discovery of the Higgs Boson “God-Particle”, the most fundamental bit of matter believed to exist.
- Aug. 5- Millions patronize Chick-Fil-A restaurants nationwide in support of COO Dan Cathy’s statement that he believes in the traditional biblical definition of marriage and in reaction to a nationwide call for boycotting the company.
- Aug. 28- Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is chosen by the Republican Party as the first Mormon nominated for President of the United States.
- Sept. 20- President Obama officially repeals the “Don’t Ask- Don’t Tell” policy for gays in the US military services.
- Nov. 6- Barack Obama is re-elected President of the United States. Maine legalizes gay marriage in voter referendum. Minnesota voters reject amendment banning same-sex marriage in the state. Washington and Colorado voters pass referendums legalizing marijuana possession and use in those states.